|Position Title: Operations Manager |
Reports to: Plant Manager
Location: Cleveland, OH
Founded in 1943, our client, Paulo is one of the largest providers of thermal processing and metal finishing solutions in North America. Headquartered in St. Louis, Paulo operates six strategically-located divisions across the U.S. and Mexico. We deliver quality results with data engineering: blending the best in automation, data, and human expertise. Paulo provides expert heat treating from our plants in St. Louis, Kansas City, Cleveland, Nashville, Murfreesboro, and Monterrey. We’ve built our reputation on making the best parts in the industry even better. Complex specifications and tight time frames are our specialty. Our metallurgy team helps clients select and design the heat-treating process that will deliver the right results every time, on time.
Our Operations Manager plays a critical role in our plant to maintain our status as a leader in the industry, and ensuring we are maintaining best in class standards.
As an Operations Manager you will plan, organize and direct all production activities in the plant. This includes coordinating production activities between departments and shifts, ensuring cooperation, effective communication and efficient workflow. You will be responsible for overseeing quality, productivity and customer satisfaction standards are met or exceeded. Ensure that all production activities are conducted in a safe manner.
- Manage and control costs to achieve plant performance goals.
- Lead productivity improvements for the plant utilizing co-workers and other resources.
Use existing (and develop new) tools to monitor and analyze furnace and labor performance data for all cost centers.
- Ensure that quality and turnaround schedules are met (ePRTSD) or above goal. Develop and maintain positive relationships with customers.
- Ensure that communication is occurring between customers, employees, supervisors, managers, and corporate, as needed.
- Develop skills and continuous improvement plans for direct reports. Lend support to projects lead by direct reports.
- Coordinate production activities between departments. Ensure quality, excellent service and productivity.
- Oversee effective new job development and customer satisfaction.
- Support the halting of production when non-conforming work appears. Monitor rejected parts, determine the root cause, and return parts as quickly as possible.
- Work in cooperation with the maintenance department on equipment breakdowns, fixture requirement and overall building needs.
- Communicate with Engineers regarding solutions to problems and business opportunities.
- Support company employee engagement initiatives.
- Fill in for the Plant Manager, when necessary.
- Lead and organize the quarterly planning meetings.
- Ensure that plant activities are conducted in a safe manner. Facilitate the investigation for all injury and near-miss incidents. Establish and maintain a strong safety awareness among all production personnel.
- Facilitate continuous improvement and 5S programs.
- Support or work in other areas or departments, as needed or assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Two or more years’ experience in a similar or related position. Preferably in a manufacturing environment, including experience with supply chain and quality systems
- Excellent supervisory and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of practical heat treating and heat treating equipment.
- Knowledge of basic mechanical and electrical concepts.
- Strong problem solving abilities.
- Must display logical thinking processes.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Must be able to participate in and encourage teamwork and open communication.
- Ability to prioritize and effectively handle several assignments/problem situations/projects
- Ability to work effectively, independently and as a team member
Excellent written and verbal communication skills to effectively communicate with individuals as well as with groups of people
- Valid driver’s license and acceptable Motor Vehicle Record in compliance with Paulo’s Vehicle Use Policy.
- Any certification of process knowledge is a plus. Training in supervision, management, and business preferred.
Physical Activities: Physical activities commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this position.
Balancing, Climbing, Crawling, Crouching, Feeling, Grasping, Hearing, Kneeling, Pulling, Pushing, Reaching, Sitting, Standing, Stooping, Talking, Walking, Writing.
Functions require lifting and moving items weighing less than 5 lbs. to over 60 lbs. from floor to waist height and moving a lateral distance of up to 100 feet. Functions also require moving equipment, supplies, etc. up to 5000 lbs. mechanically using pallet jacks, forklifts, hoists, etc.
Mental Activities: Mental activities commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this position.
- Must be able to meet all pre-employment requirements.
- Must be able to understand the rudiments of heat treating and metal finishing.
- Must be able to read instructions, charts, and production paperwork.
- Must be able to satisfactorily complete all training and qualification programs.
- Must be able to follow and give verbal and written directions, communicate both orally and in writing, and work closely with others.
- Must be able to perform basic arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percent, rate, ratio, etc.
Responsibilities: Responsibilities commonly associated with the performance of this position.
- Maintain confidentiality of Paulo’s proprietary and confidential data
- Be driven to help the company on continuous improvement of plant Safety, Quality, Efficiency/Productivity, and Housekeeping goals.
- Participate in and encourage teamwork and communication with all Paulo office and plant personnel.
- Treat all Paulo equipment, instruments, and customer parts with care.
- Follow all PPE guidelines and Safety Rules. Remain safety aware and report all “near miss (unsafe conditions) injury or property damage incidents.
- Act promptly to insure that equipment malfunctions or safety hazards are corrected.
- Perform to specified quality and business system standards and comply with all relevant product quality procedures and requirements.
- Ensure good housekeeping in the work area.
- Work without supervision to process work within the department.
- Understand and perform operations in accordance with the process master systems, shop order instructions, and customer requirements.
- Operate equipment to produce the maximum output possible consistent with acceptable quality.
- Work any shift as required.
- Work overtime as required.
Working Conditions: Working conditions commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this position.
- Employee exposed to temperatures sufficiently high in the summer months to cause marked bodily discomfort.
- Employee exposed to temperatures sufficiently low in the winter months to cause marked bodily discomfort.
- Employee exposed to atmospheric conditions such as fumes, dust, dirt, oil, and smoke.
- Employee exposed to hazardous conditions such as chemicals, and moving mechanical parts.
- Employee exposed at times to noise levels of 75-120 dbs. While working in various parts of the plant.
- Employee exposed to oils and other fluids strong enough to be disagreeable.
- Employee exposed to oscillating movements of the extremities or whole body while operating a forklift.
Machines, Tools, Equipment and Work Aids: Which may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position.
Forklift, Overhead Hoist, Computer, Blast Equipment, Induction Treating Equipment, Material Handling Equipment, Hardness Testing Equipment, and miscellaneous Office Equipment.
Visual Acuity: Visual activities commonly associated with the performance of the functions of the job.
Clarity of vision at 20 feet or more with the ability to judge distance and space relationships with a wide field of vision necessary to drive a forklift truck. Clarity of vision at 20 inches or less with the ability to adjust the eyes and bring objects into sharp focus as necessary to read, write, and do calculations. Depth perception with the ability to judge distance and space relationships necessary to climb stairs.
Hearing Ability: Hearing activities that are commonly associated with the performance of the functions of the job.
Employee must be able to communicate by telephone and distinguish information received orally. Employee must be able to distinguish sounds in the office such as a telephone ringing. When in the shop, employee must be able to distinguish sounds in the shop environment, such as forklifts, machinery, warning announcements, alarms, etc.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws.
Certain job functions described herein may be subject to possible modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.
“Commonly Associated” is not intended to mean always or only.
Activities, demands, conditions, and requirements are linked to both essential & marginal job functions.
About Cornerstone Kansas City:
Cornerstone Kansas City is a leading retained executive search firm based in Prairie Village, Kansas that helps great companies recruit great people. For more than 40 years, Cornerstone Kansas City has excelled in serving its client companies with executive talent acquisition across the Central Midwest region of the United States. Cornerstone Kansas City has successfully completed more than 1,600 retained executive search assignments for C-suite, President, Vice President, Director and Management-level positions. To inquire about how Cornerstone Kansas City can serve your executive talent acquisition needs, please click here to visit our website.
Celebrating 40 Years in Executive Search
5200 W 94th Terr., Suite 202, Prairie Village, KS 66207
Phone: (913) 754-2093
Consultants to Management in Executive Search
More than 1600 retained searches completed