|Position Title: Plant Controller
Reports to: Corporate Vice President of Finance
Scope of Role: 1 Plant Location; 120 Employees
Plant Annual Budget: ~$40MM
Location: Bemidji, MN
Our client, North Central Door, a Garaga company www.northcentraldoor.com based in Northern Minnesota has been a major manufacturer and supplier of quality-built residential and commercial garage doors for over 50 years. North Central Door has a proud tradition of putting customers first and are known for their outstanding range of residential and commercial doors – made to last for generations and look great doing so!
In September 2022, North Central Door joined the Garaga family of companies. Founded in 1983, Garaga has positioned itself as one of the leading manufacturers of garage doors and overhead doors in North America. Now with 4 manufacturing locations, 2 in the US and 2 in Canada, Garaga designs and manufactures superior garage doors and related hardware systems for the residential, commercial, agricultural and industrial markets that includes a strategic distribution network spanning across Canada and the United States. Garaga is family owned and operated and remains committed to their core guiding principles of Integrity, Teamwork, Respect, Continuous Improvement, Open-mindedness, Quality and always the health and safety of their 1,200 dedicated team members! Learn more at www.garaga.com and the acquisition HERE.
We are seeking to recruit an experienced and detail-oriented Plant Controller to join the North Central Door team in Bemidji, Minnesota. Reporting to the Vice President of Finance in Canada, the Controller will lead the accounting and financial controls function of the recently renovated manufacturing plant in Bemidji. This newly established position demands a collaborative leader who sets an example and champions a process improvement mindset. The Plant Controller will infuse the role with a keen business sense, a people-centric approach, boots-on-the-ground attitude and ready to fully embrace North Central Door’s cultural values of humility, teamwork, respect, integrity, and safety.
The Controller will play a crucial role in overseeing the financial activities of the Minnesota Plant, ensuring accuracy, compliance, and effective financial management. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in accounting, financial analysis, and leadership.
- Lead month-end and quarter-end processes.
- Review P&L and balance sheet monthly, identifying any discrepancies or areas for improvement.
- Collaborate with the accounting department to validate the inventory report and challenge the costs used for inventory balance.
- Contribute to forecasts and ensure proper assumptions for each scenario.
- Formulate an annual budget with well-founded assumptions for Sales, Raw Materials, and Labor, incorporating quantities, pricing, and mix analyses.
- Calculate monthly volume, mix, and pricing variances vs budget/previous year to enhance forecasting accuracy.
- Procure value-added profitability analysis and plan to meet the yearly budget.
- Participate in the budget process.
- Develop a cost accounting system, thoroughly understanding the cost of goods sold (volume, price, mix), future costs, and actual costs tied to the monthly P&L.
- Ensure compliance through best practices.
- Collaborate and lead external service providers for tax and audit purposes.
- Identify opportunities for improvement including but not limited to:
- Implementing D365 / ADP (payroll system) and phasing out ICUM.
- New Payables Workflow Process Implementation
- Implement and follow up on KPIs.
- Support IT in Production KPI Implementation
- Assist the IT team in implementing “live” data in the plant.
- Analyze the data to derive meaningful insights.
- Support ad hoc projects.
- Support business partners and other controllers when necessary.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree in business management, specialized in accounting or equivalent
- CPA designation preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a manufacturing environment
- 3 years of experience in a supervision role
- Servant leadership style
Bemidji, Minnesota is the perfect place – even PARADISE – for fishing, hunting and outdoor lovers, 15 minutes away from beautiful and well-preserved lakes and forests. Ready to take your career to the next level in paradise? Please apply https://cornerstone-kc.com/north-central-door-garaga-company
About Cornerstone Kansas City:
Cornerstone Kansas City is a leading retained executive search firm based in Prairie Village, Kansas that helps great companies recruit great people. For more than 40 years, Cornerstone Kansas City has excelled in serving its client companies with executive talent acquisition, leadership development and career transition services across the Central Midwest region of the United States. Cornerstone Kansas City has successfully completed more than 1,600 retained executive search assignments for C-suite, President, Vice President, Director and Senior Management-level positions. To inquire about how Cornerstone Kansas City can serve your executive talent acquisition needs, please click here to visit our website.
Please send resume or referrals to:
Celebrating 40 Years in Executive Search
5200 W 94th Terr., Suite 202, Prairie Village, KS 66207
Phone: (913) 754-2095
Consultants to Management in Executive Search
More than 1600 retained searches completed