Company: SPS Companies, Inc.
Position Title: Outside Account Manager
Reports to: Regional Sales Manager
Location: St. Louis Metro / Southeast Missouri/Central Illinois
The roots of the SPS Companies go back to 1933 when our founder, Sam Goldstein, set out from Nebraska to try to find a way to support his family. After his car broke down outside of Manhattan, KS, and with $800 to his name, he decided to set up shop and Kansas Hide and Wool was formed. From there Sam and his son Jack, always seeking ways to expand, started bringing steel back on their empty trucks and selling it to the farmers they were buying the hides and wools from. Within 20 years, steel was the primary business. By 1959, it was the only business.
Today, SPS Companies is one of the largest privately-owned steel services centers in the United States, with its headquarters in Manhattan, Kansas, and facilitites located throughout the Midwest, South and Mexico. We employ a diverse family with more than 600 people and offer a wide range of services that include:
- Logistics and Distribution of carbon steel products
- Coil Processing including cut-to-length, temper, tension-level, break-for-weight, and slitting
- Fabrication featuring the nations largest shape laser
- Structural and mechanical tubing, coated pipe, and specialty pipe mill
- Distribution and fabrication of round, square, rectangle and oval galvanized tubing
- Metallurgical testing in A2LA Certified labs
No one could have predicted that Sam Goldstein’s original $800 would grow into a business generating nearly $1 billion in sales each year, but his philosophy of hard work and service to the customer has stood the test of time. It’s how we still do business today.
Outside Account Managers (OAMs) are the face of Steel and Pipe Supply. These experts use their relational expertise, business acumen, and formidable knowledge of the steel industry to craft strategic, win-win business relationships that benefit both the company and its customers. While OAMs maintain a home office for research and planning, they travel daily to meet and befriend clients face-to-face, bookending their visits by checking in with Steel and Pipe Supply’s management and sales staff to keep them up to date on any new developments. This independence requires a tremendous drive for results and the ability to self-motivate. The most successful OAMs learn their territory inside and out so that they can protect and increase the company’s market share in the territory.
- Visit customer locations daily
- Develop strong relationships with new and existing customers
- Identify sales opportunities and capture market share in the following areas:
- Coil Products
- Open new accounts with customers that meet Steel and Pipe Supply’s criteria
- Rely on the Commercial Team as a resource, coach, and partner
- Keep stakeholders up to date on market and customer information through daily entries on the company’s Customer Relationship Management (CRM) platform
- Develop and maintain an expert understanding of the steel products and services offered by the company.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with inside sales, sales support staff, facility operations, and other inter-company staff
- Work with all staff related to the sales process to ensure customer expectations are met/exceeded
- Plan time usage every day/week/month to effectively balance home office hours, customer visits and entertainment, travel, etc.
- Determine the most effective way to use entertainment dollars within the territory
Physical & Work Requirements:
- Ability to work from a home office
- Self-directed work schedule that involves:
- Setting a travel schedule in advance of each week
- Travel by vehicle on a daily basis
- Ability to work outside the normal 8a.m. to 5p.m.
- Ensure professional appearance appropriate for meetings with executive level employees or clients
Required Background, Competencies & Expertise:
- Tremendous drive for results
- Proven relationship building skills
- Comfortable with negotiation
- Adept at consulting with customers and selling solutions to their challenges rather than pushing products
- Ability to identify strategic prospects and effectively pursue them
- Experience developing rapport with customers and shepherding them through the buying process
- Excellent organization and communication skills
- Instills trust and confidence
- High learning agility
- Understanding of basic economics related to supply and demand
- Able to learn and use required software applications effectively (SAP, Microsoft Office, etc.)
Preferred Background, Competencies & Expertise:
- In-depth knowledge of the carbon steel industry
- Basic knowledge of SAP
- Experience with sales technology and a CRM tool
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related discipline or equivalent work experience
Please send resume or referrals to:
|Celebrating 40 Years in Executive Search
5200 W 94th Terr., Suite 202, Prairie Village, KS 66207
Phone: (913) 754-2094
Consultants to Management in Executive Search
More than 1600 retained searches completed